problem building for cygwin

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 16 08:03:31 EDT 2004

On 16 September 2004 12:11, Beni Kavanagh wrote:

>>> Has anyone else ran into this problem. Am I making a mistake?
>>
>> In the terminology of the build system, you're building with
>> host=i386-unknown-mingw32 and target=i386-unknown-cygwin32.  Try
>> configuring with those options.
>>
>> Sounds like the compiler's Makefile should be checking the host
>> rather than the target when adding -package unix too.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> 	Simon
>

> (Again, I am building from 6.2.1).
>
> If I try to configure cygwin with host = "i386-unknown-mingw32",
> target = "i386-unknown-cygwin32" it complains that cross compilation
> is not supported. Did you mean I should go through the cross
> compilation process?

Well it *is* a cross-compilation, of a kind.  It is true that the build
system isn't really set up to handle cross-compilation.

I'm afraid this is going to be a bit of a non-answer.  Building for
cygwin is something that isn't officially supported, and it almost
certainly requires tweaking the build system and Makefiles to get it to
go through.  I can't tell you how much, because I've never done it.

> Is there an unofficial binary release for ghc-6.2.1 on cygwin?

Not that I know of.

> All I really need is Readline which is not built into the mingw binary
> release. Initially I tried to get the mingw build to work. This
> failed. The script 'configure' hangs in the step "checking if your
> perl works in shell scripts".
>
> Has anyone had this problem?

Nope, never seen this one.  Perhaps try a different Perl?  The one
shipped with GHC seems to work well.

It looks like MingW comes with a libreadline.a these days.  Readline
appears to build fine in GHC 6.2.2.  I'll see if we can include it with
the 6.2.2 release...