Marshalling Haskell String <-> UTF-8

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Wed Sep 1 19:39:30 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:13:23AM +0100, Ross Paterson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 10:16:23AM +0100, Bayley, Alistair wrote:
> > I want to call a foreign C function that takes a UTF-8 encoded string as one
> > of its arguments (and there's also a version of the function that receives
> > UTF-16). Can someone point me to documentation or examples of how this would
> > be done? AFAICT (reading the FFI spec) marshalling a String to a CString is
> > locale-dependent, whereas I know that I want UTF-8/16.
>
> The locale-dependent marshalling of CString described by the FFI spec
> isn't yet implemented in the library.  There is some code by John Meacham
> including UTF-8 conversion at

I should mention I have a new version of the CWString library in
development that conforms to the new FFI spec and works on all posixy
systems, not just those that have unicode wchar_t's like my first
posting.

It is not quite ready for release, but if there is a strong need I can
package it up nicely.
        John
--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈