x86_64: total success

William Lee Irwin III wli at holomorphy.com
Fri Oct 15 07:04:08 EDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 09:18:26AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> That's not really a "fix".  It's a patch for the i386 distribution to
> make it work on on x86_64 platform, but it doesn't let you build GHC on
> that platform, for example.  For that, some (probably small) changes to
> the build system would be required.  I imagine you would do something
> like:
>   ./configure --build=x86_64-unknown-linux --host=i386-unknown-linux
> and the build system picks up the difference between $BuildArch and
> $HostArch and adds the -m32 flags.  Something like that.

A patch such as this would be very helpful for me, as I just want to
use ghci/etc. on x86-64 and don't really care much about e.g. the very
highest-quality codegen. I hacked around this in various ways to get
the stock binary i386 distribution to run on x86-64, but would prefer
to use something less hackish than shell script wrappers for gcc(1) and
as(1) that pass the 32-bit forcing arguments...

Also, the Debian ghc package on sparc64 (32-bit) seems to need some kind
of update; ghc proper is fine, but ghci cores. Maybe I should file a bug.
Alpha looks clean, though. I've not tried on ia64, ppc64, or mips64 yet.
Running on my sparc64 box would be nice b/c it has more cpus, RAM, and
registers. =)

$ ssh analyticity
Last login: Fri Oct 15 02:36:58 2004 from meromorphy
Linux analyticity 2.6.9-rc2-mm3 #2 SMP Fri Sep 24 18:40:06 PDT 2004 sparc64 GNU/Linux
$ ghci
 / /_\// /_/ / /  | |      GHC Interactive, version 6.2.1, for Haskell 98.
/ /_\\/ __  / /___| |      http://www.haskell.org/ghc/

zsh: 1282 segmentation fault  ghci

-- wli