x86_64: total success

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Thu Oct 14 02:05:37 EDT 2004

Aha! a partial fix! now everything works as expected.

I just needed to create a link from
libgmp.so.3 -> libgmp.so
and now it all works!

So the complete instructions for getting ghc working on a fedora 2
x86_64 system are

; yum install gmp.i386 readline.i386
; ln -s /usr/lib/libgmp.so.3 /usr/lib/libgmp.so
; ln -s /usr/lib/sse2/libgmp.so.3 /usr/lib/sse2/libgmp.so
; rpm -U ghc-*.i386*.rpm  -- downloaded from ghc web site

and just always pass

-optc-m32 -opta-m32 -optl-m32

to ghc and everything just works.

If we can get ghc to pass those options automatically by 6.2.2  that
would be cool and a very easy fix.

Now I can get started on a native port. Hopefully, the much reduced
register pressure on x86_64 and ability to take advantage of sse for
floating point will speed things up for the RTS.

        John
--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈