GHCI and readline package

Wassell, Mark P (GE Energy) mark.wassell at ps.ge.com
Mon Nov 1 22:34:10 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm having a problem running ghci and loading the readline package on
WindowsXP.

C:\Software\haskell\ghc622\bin>ghci -package readline
ghci -package readline
   ___         ___ _
  / _ \ /\  /\/ __(_)
 / /_\// /_/ / /  | |      GHC Interactive, version 6.2.2, for Haskell 98.
/ /_\\/ __  / /___| |      http://www.haskell.org/ghc/
\____/\/ /_/\____/|_|      Type :? for help.

C:/Software/haskell/ghc622/HSreadline.o: unknown symbol
`_rl_redisplay_function'
ghc.exe: unable to load package `readline'

I have seen the follow in the user guide:

"For some reason, Mingw ships with the readline library, but not with the
readline headers. As a result, GHC (like Hugs) does not use readline for
interactive input on Windows. You can get a close simulation by using an
emacs shell buffer!"

but I assume I need readline as util needs it and util is needed by data
which is needed by wxcore.

Cheers

Mark