Haskell performance

mahogny at sirius.areta.org mahogny at sirius.areta.org
Thu Mar 18 20:03:40 EST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:28:54 -0000
> From: Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>
> To: Ketil Malde <ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no>,
>      "[iso-8859-1] Sébastien Pierre" <sebastien.pierre at adival.com>
> Cc: glasgow-haskell-users at haskell.org
> Subject: RE: Haskell performance
> | > I am currently evaluating different languages for implementing an
> | > application which will have to manipulate large graphs representing
> | > the structure of programs and their evolution.
> |
> | > Speed is in fact a crucial criterium for the language choice.

Not long ago, I threw out 15 000 lines of optimized C in favour of haskell
just because of speed; implementing the algorithm I wanted would have been
more or less impossible because of the overwhelming complexity. In C I
would shoot my toes off by just looking at any memory use; in haskell I
can concentrate on coding this much faster algorithm.

if you want a 10 times speed up, you wait some time for the hardware
technology to make up. if you want a 100 times speed up, you consider your

Johan 'Mahogny' 'Staalis' Henriksson, mahogny at areta.org
Student at Chalmers University of Technology and Gothenburg University
Lead Coder at Areta, www.areta.org
Engineer and sysadmin at BRK-Tjaenst AB, www.brksweden.se