-static

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun Mar 7 18:29:04 EST 2004

Hi,

In ghc/compiler/main/DriverFlags.hs machdepCCOpts includes a "-static"
flag for some arches. Is this really necessary? I can't see any comments
as to why, nor any real answers from a quick google.

It causes this when compiling darcs on these arches:

/usr/lib/ghc-6.2/libHSunix.a(User.o)(.text+0x2a2c): In function `s6T9_ret':
: warning: Using 'getgrgid_r' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking

which I assume would lead to too strict dependencies on glibc being
necessary.

Thanks
Ian