[Haskell] performance tuning Data.FiniteMap

Carsten Schultz carsten at codimi.de
Tue Mar 2 14:28:52 EST 2004

Hi Simon!

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 09:20:40AM -0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> There are several things that aren't research issues: notably, faster
> copying, fewer intermediate lists, fewer state-monad-induced
> intermediate closures.  These are things that would move sharply up our
> priority list if you had a real application that was stumbling on them.

From the context, it is not clear to me, if you are writing about
arrays or FiniteMap.  Regarding FiniteMap:  I would want it to be as
good as possible and advertised more.  If you see how pervasive
dictionarys are eg in Python, finite maps should be our counterpart,
and they should be so good that nobody would ever think about using a
plain list for storing items that have to be looked up later.
However, they me already be that good, I do not have any complaints, I
just wanted to state that I think them important.

Just my humble opinion...

Greetings,

Carsten

--
Carsten Schultz (2:38, 33:47), FB Mathematik, FU Berlin
http://carsten.codimi.de/