config.h namespace clashes

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Mon Mar 1 04:16:58 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 11:55:05AM -0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> Yes, we should definitely do that.  I'm surprised this hasn't caused
> problems before (or maybe it has?).

The reasons it has not been as much of an issue before are twofold as
far as I can tell,

1. cpp only complains if you #define something to a different value than
it was previously defined. chances are any autoconf tests will succeed
similarly during the building of ghc and later.

2. autoconf only recently started #defining PACKAGE, VERSION, BUGREPORT
and friends, which will almost definatly be different.

so, they probably were conflicting a lot before, but the symtoms were
hidden. At least that was what I determined from my post-mortem when
figuring out why the compiler started horking on -Werrors with ghc 6.2.
        John