Unregistered build (was Re: AMD64)

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 16 09:26:45 EDT 2004

On 16 June 2004 13:19, Gerd M wrote:

> Simon Marlow wrote:
>> It looks like HC bootstrapping is enabled in this tree; it shouldn't
>> be. Just use a completely fresh source tree, don't configure with
>> --enable-hc-boot, and don't unpack any HC files into it.
>>
> If I use a fresh source tree without HCs then I need the unregistered
> build to compile, right? Unfortunately the debian build didn't get me
> very far since it stops with an internal compiler error (see previous
> posts).

There seems to be some confusion.  The instructions I gave were for
Bennett, who said he had a working unregisterised build.  If you haven't
got that far yet, then these instructions don't apply.

> So I followed the instructions of the Porting Guide
> and compiled a ghc-6.2.1-x86_64_unknown_linux-hc.tar.gz in 32bit mode.
>
> In 64bit mode:
> ./distrib/hc-build --enable-hc-boot-unregisterised
> which stops with the error message I mentioned in my last post.
>> multiple definition of `forkOS_entry'
>> Control/Concurrent_stub.o(.text+0x0): first defined here

Don S. committed a fix for this to the main tree.  It looks like it
hasn't been merged yet... could you try the attached patch to
libraries/base/Makefile, and let me now if it helps?