major missing piece to arrays?

John Meacham john at
Thu Jul 15 17:07:49 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 04:20:38PM +0200, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> memcpy is available in Foreign.Marshal.Utils:
>      copyBytes :: Ptr a -> Ptr a -> Int -> IO ()
>      Copies the given number of bytes from the second area (source)
>      into the first (destination);the copied areas may not overlap
> Here is the result of a quick try to implement fast copy using it and
> Data.Array.Storable:

I know I can copy areas of memory allocated via the foreign library or C
code around. What I am looking for is an efficient way to work with
the standard Arrays as provided by Data.Array.

Also, in my tests, arrays implemented via ByteArray# or Ptr a seem to be
signifigantly faster than those implemented via ForeignPtr. Is this

John Meacham