Problem with ghc on Windows ME

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 30 12:05:14 EST 2004

> In released software, I'm using only system so far, so won't be
> affected negatively.  But I still haven't managed to work around the
> "works in win98"/"fails in winXP" problem I mentioned, and have so
> far avoided trying rawSystem because of the version problem. If you
> can offer a workaroung to the version problem, I'll try whether
> rawSystem is any help in my case.

I've attached a standalone rawSystem implementation that works on both
6.0.1 and 6.2 on Windows (on Unix it only works with 6.2; if you want
6.0.1 support for Unix too you'll need an extra .c file).

I'd be interested to know if this helps with your win98/winXP problem;
at the least it should free you from having to think about one layer of
quoting.

> Generally, it'd be great if working code would less often break with
> new releases (oh, and a portable popen2, while we're at it!-).

We try our best!  Remember that patchlevel releases only fix bugs, never
change interfaces, so working code should never break when moving to a
new patchlevel release.  Major releases can change interfaces.  We also
do a great deal of testing on every release, but bugs inevitably creep
in, especially on platforms other than our main development platform
(Linux).  Which is why we're grateful for any help we can get from the
community...