ghc and signal processing

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at lindows.com
Sun Feb 22 18:49:44 EST 2004

Hello,

I was thinking about using haskell to do some 'realtime' audio signal
processing, and am trying to figure out how close to the holy grail of
"C" code I can get when it comes to speed. Currently, it looks like I
might be looking at running 10 times slower. Is there stuff I could do
to get better performance out of haskell?

In example 1, I create an unitialized 1.8MB array of type 'IOUArray
Int Word8', and write it to a file. This takes a mere 0.056 seconds
(on an Athlon 600).

module Main where

import Data.Array
import Data.Array.IO

import System.IO

main = do h <- openBinaryFile "test.b" WriteMode
	  a <- newArray_ (1,1800000)
	  hPutArray h a 1800000

In example 2, I apply a filter to the array (in this case, the filter
is just the id function). This takes around 1.06 seconds.

main = do h <- openBinaryFile "test.b" WriteMode
	  a <- newArray_ (1,1800000)
	  b <- mapArray id a
	  hPutArray h b 1800000

If I apply the 'filter' twice, the time increases to 2.58 seconds:

main = do h <- openBinaryFile "test.b" WriteMode
	  a <- newArray_ (1,1800000)
	  b <- mapArray id a
	  c <- mapArray id b
	  hPutArray h c 1800000

By comparison, the following c program runs in 0.10 seconds:

#include <stdio.h>

int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
  FILE *fp;
  char *a;
  char *b;
  int i;

  a = (char *)malloc (1800000);
  b = (char *)malloc (1800000);

  for (i = 0; i < 1800000; i++) {
    b[i] = a[i];
  }

  fp = fopen("test.b","w");
  fwrite(b, 1, 1800000, fp);
  fclose(fp);

  free(b);
  free(a);
  return 0;
}

I compile using ghc from cvs as follows:

ghc -O2 -fvia-C Test.hs -o test

I also tried just -O, and no -fvia-C, and the performance was the
same. Without -O, it was about 5 times slower.

I compiled the c code with:

gcc -O2 test.c -o test.

I am using ghc from cvs head and gcc 2.95 on FreeBSD.

Are there secret options I should enable on the compiler? Or perhaps
there is a faster way than using mapArray and unboxed arrays?

Thanks!
Jeremy Shaw.