Generics...

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Feb 6 09:49:25 EST 2004

I'm sorry, but I still can't figure out your specification.  Given
| type SqlColumn a = String
| type TypedExpr a = String
then the identity function will convert one to the other.  And if they
are different types, then my original observation still applies: I
assume you aren't expecting just to replace all Ints by Floats, because
that can't be well typed.

To put it another way, you want to write a *generic* function; that is,
one that works on arguments of many types. So what is the type that you
want your function to have?  For generic programming you want one type,
like this
	gsize :: Data a => a -> Int
gsize takes a data structure a and returns its size.

You give the type of 'project' by giving several examples.  So maybe you
want a type class, rather than generic functions?

I'm confused anyway.

SImon