Emitting java bytecode?

Adam Megacz adam at megacz.com
Tue Dec 28 22:31:39 EST 2004

I know at one time GHC had partially-working support for emitting
bytecode with the "-J" switch -- see fptools/ghc/compiler/javaGen.
Does anybody know what became of it?  Any documentation beyond the
source?

  - a

"S. Alexander Jacobson" <alex at alexjacobson.com> writes:
> A lot of phones run java bytecode.
>
> It would be nice (and rather cool) to be able to
> write midlets in Haskell in addition to Java....
>
> (And there would be some irony in being able to do
> this in Haskell but not in Erlang on Ericson
> phones!)
>
> -Alex-

> S. Alexander Jacobson tel:917-770-6565 http://alexjacobson.com
>

> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 karczma at info.unicaen.fr wrote:
>
>> Einar Karttunen writes:

>> > Perhaps making -keep-hc-files a bit more documented ...
>> >
>> > This could be faster and easier to implement than creating a version of
>> > the RTS running under the JVM.
>> ==============
>>
>> More generally: do you (Tomasz and others) really think that Java,
>> or even C/C++ is a good "portable" platform for implementing efficiently
>> Haskell or other lazy functional languages??
>>
>> I believe this has been discussed already. And GHC passed already
>> through this stage. I don't believe the world can return to it. The
>> RT model is different, even decently implemented tail recursion is
>> not so easy in C, and in Java I wouldn't bet either.
>>
>> Moreover, I don't think that Haskell is a good way to perpetuate
>> imperative languages as "portable platforms". While Lisp machine
>> belongs to the past, it seems reasonable to hope that "functional
>> hardware", with some universal implementation paradigms, will be
>> more popular...
>>

>> Jerzy Karczmarczuk

I wrote my own mail server and it still has a few bugs.
If you send me a message and it bounces, please forward the
bounce message to megacz at gmail.com.  Thanks!