internal error: weird activation record found on stack: 9

Simon Marlow simonmar at
Fri Dec 17 05:30:06 EST 2004

On 16 December 2004 16:12, Peter Simons wrote:

> I'm getting this error in my software every now and then:
>   postmaster: internal error: scavenge_stack: weird activation record
>       found on stack: 9 Please report this as a bug to
>       glasgow-haskell-bugs at, or
> The process runs just fine for several days, and then it
> crashes with this message out of the sudden. There is no
> apparent cause. I'm using a fairly recent CVS ghc to compile
> the program on Linux/x86.
> Any idea what I can do to help tracking this bug down?

Please compile the program with -debug, then open it with gdb.  Set a
breakpoint on barf() and run the program:

  gdb> break barf
  gdb> run

and wait for it to hit the breakpoint.  Then do

  gdb> signal SIGABRT

to get a core dump.  Send the source, binary, and core dump to us.  With
any luck, we'll be able to track it down without running the program.