did util.memo vanish?

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Wed Dec 8 06:10:56 EST 2004

On 08 December 2004 09:10, Adam Megacz wrote:

> "Simon Marlow" <simonmar at microsoft.com> writes:
>> It's still there in module Memo, in the util package.  It's scheduled
>> for demolition in 6.6.
>
> Huh... why?  It's pretty convenient, especially if you're aware of the
> relevant GC issues and don't mind them....  although I do wish that
> there were a version of type
>
>   (Storable a, Eq a) => (a -> b) -> (a -> b)
>
> that would use hash-the-bitserialized-representation equality rather
> than pointer/stableName equality.

No particularly good reason; my impression is that it isn't used much,
performance isn't that great, and it's only of limited applicability
(i.e. when you want to use pointer equality rather than any other kind
of equality over keys).  It needs to be moved into the hierarchical libs
somewhere, of course.