building cygwin

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Dec 6 07:57:19 EST 2004

On 04 December 2004 01:49, Ben Kavanagh wrote:

> I'm going to create a standard dist for cygwin.
>
> In order to do so, according to the porting guide I need to build a
> set of .hc files with mingw32(same hardware) and then use hc-build
> with those. To create the hc files from mingw32 for use with cygwin I
> should just have to define toplevel build.mk as follows is that
> correct?
>

> GhcLibHcOpts += -keep-hc-files
> GhcStage1HcOpts += -keep-hc-files
> GhcStage2HcOpts += -keep-hc-files

Yes, I think so.

> and then use 'find' to pull out all of the .hc files.

The target "hc-file-bundle" in the top-level Makefile should do the
right thing.

> After that It should be fairly simple to get a Cygwin build going
> right? -Ben

I doubt it'll be trivial - probably lots of

  #ifdef mingw32_TARGET_OS

will need to change to

  #if defined(mingw32_TARGET_OS) || defined(cygwin_TARGET_OS)

but there shouldn't be any major new code to write.  I'd proceed by
grepping for mingw32_TARGET_OS and checking each one to see whether it
should change, otherwise you could end up with hard-to-find bugs that
show up months later.