Announce: hs-plugins-0.9.6

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Mon Aug 16 15:27:21 EDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 04:17:31PM +0100, MR K P SCHUPKE wrote:
> >There is a portable System.Process library here:
>
> On that note, perhaps all signals on unix should be
> set to ignore, so if you are writing cross platform
> code you don't have to do special stuff with say
> sigPIPE for example

Not all signals, SIGPIPE is a special case though, it really should
default to ignore, but changing it would have broken many unix utilities
when signals were first introduced. I don't want to silently eat
segfaults for instance. I think setting sigpipe to ignore would be a
good thing to do in the common RTS. none of the other signals need to be
mucked with i think....

I made a plea a while ago to document these platform issues, status of
SIGPIPE, whether setlocale has already been called, whether SIGTIME or
the posix real-time signals are available to the app or are taken up by the
RTS. Seems like this info should be somewhere in the ghc manual...
        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈