turn off let floating

Andre Pang ozone at algorithm.com.au
Wed Apr 21 00:52:54 EDT 2004

On 20/04/2004, at 9:48 PM, Bernard James POPE wrote:

> To test out the various possible ways of implementing a global counter
> I wrote some test cases (shown below). I hope the test cases are
> useful, and provide some indication of the relative performance.
> However, if you spot something bogus please let me know.
>
> Each program computes the equivalent of:
>
>     sum ([1..100000000] :: [Int])
>
> There are four different ways that I tried:
>
>    1) pure: this is just pure functional code and should be fast.
>       This test case is only here as a control example, it is not
>       a candidate solution because I need a global counter.
>
>    2) ioref: this uses a global mutable counter using IORefs and
>       unsafePerformIO
>
>    3) fastMut: this uses the fast mutable integer library from GHC
>       that was suggested by Simon Marlow.
>
>    4) ffi: this implements the counter in C using the FFI.

There's another way which you missed: using implicit parameters.  I
remember reading a paper a while ago called Global Variables in Haskell
(sorry, don't remember the author -- Jones, perhaps?) which did similar
benchmarking to yours, and carrying around the global variable with an
implicit parameter was faster than using a global mutable counter via
"unsafePerformIO $ newIORef ...".

--
% Andre Pang : trust.in.love.to.save