Two problems with heap profiling

Stefan Reich doc at
Fri Apr 16 12:38:59 EDT 2004

I'm using GHC 6.2.1 on Windows 2000.

Problem 1: -hr crashes in some circumstances.

Take this program (Test.hs):

  module Main where
  import IO
  main = do
    readFile "large.csv"
    putStrLn "OK"

where large.csv is an 800K CSV file (with very small files, the bug
doesn't occur). I compile with:

    ghc -prof -auto-all Test.hs

and run with:

    a.out +RTS -hr

and get a Windows error message indicating that the program had to be
terminated. The "OK" appears, though. When I run the test program
repeatedly, it sometimes works fine (which is not the case for the
real-world program I'm trying to profile).

Other options (-hc, -hy etc) work fine. Unfortunately, retainer
information is the most useful of them all...

Problem 2: hp2ps doesn't work at all. When trying to read this file

JOB "a.out +RTS -hr
DATE "Fri Apr 16 11:15 2004"
SAMPLE_UNIT "seconds"
VALUE_UNIT "bytes"

it says "a.out.hp, line 7, floating point number must follow
BEGIN_SAMPLE". I assume the apparently mixed English/German number
formatting causes this problem.