Porting GHC to powerpc-unknown-linux

Donald Bruce Stewart dons@cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:45:40 +1000

lunar:
> Hello,
>
> Following Donald Stewart efforts and Simon Marlow's new porting guide,
> I made two attempts of getting GHC working on Linux/PowerPC.
>
> I made a first attempt using cross-compiling from a Linux/i386 box. I
> followed every instruction on the guide, but the compiler was unusable,
> resulting in the following error message :
> hc-6.0.1: internal error: stg_ap_v_ret
>     Please report this as a bug to glasgow-haskell-bugs@haskell.org,
>     or http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/ghc/
>
> Don got the same message for his cross-compilation tests, so I decided
> to stay on the same computer using the official build for Mac OS X.

I did something very slightly incorrect, I think, though I don't
know what it was, because I got a working cross-port to freebsd
yesterday, on a box that had previously given me the stg_ap_v_ret
error. See yesterday's post of mine on that.

The i386-*-linux host is probably the best host, because of
header etc. compatibility. I always got a lot more pain when the
OS's were very different.

> I had to add -Onot -fvia-C to prelude/PrimOp_HC_OPTS in
> ghc/compiler/Makefile to make GHC build. This failed on the RTS as said
> in the guide, so I decided to go on.
> But I was unable to build the libraries. I got a bunch of error message
> like : "cpp0: unkown -smart flag", and it failed later at :
> /compiler/ghc-inplace -H16m -O -fglasgow-exts -cpp -Iinclude -#include
> HsBase.h -funbox-strict-fields -package-name base -O -H32m
> - -keep-hc-files     -c GHC/Base.lhs -o GHC/Base.o  -ohi GHC/Base.hi
> GHC/Base.hc:1111: only 1 arg to macro 'HP_CHK_NP' (2 expected)
> [...]
>
> I don't know what to try next...

Try (or look at) the new hc-build script from cvs, Simon updated
that last night.

Also, see if there is anything in the building guide you might
have done slightly differently, as the build system is very fragile.

-- Don