Marshalling functions was: Transmitting Haskell values

Dimitry Golubovsky dimitry at golubovsky.org
Tue Oct 28 16:48:12 EST 2003

Hi,

Hal Daume III wrote:
>>Hmm... I can write out functions using the "Show (a -> b)" instance, but
>>there's no matching "Read (a -> b)".
>

> Show (a -> b) is a bogus instances -- you won't actually be able to use it
> for marshalling functions.

Well, marshalling functions (or storing-restoring some internal forms of
them) might be especially nice... This would mean I can declare and
compile a function on my side of a network connection (for example), and
then send it to the other end for evaluation, and then get the result.
Like a database request. Is this something absolutely impossible in
Haskell and by what reason? Just because of strong typing (forgive my
stupidity ;)? Or are there some deeper theoretical limitations?

--
Dmitry M. Golubovsky
       South Lyon, MI