overlapping instances

Arie Peterson ariep at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 15 23:48:40 EDT 2003

Hi all,

In an attempt to design a elegant way to serialise things to any serialised
form, I came up with the following exotic solution:

###
{-# OPTIONS -fallow-undecidable-instances -fallow-overlapping-instances #-}
module Convertable where

class Convertable a b where
   convert :: a -> b

instance Convertable a a where
   convert = id

instance (Convertable a b,Convertable b c) => Convertable a c where
   convert = (convert :: b -> c) . (convert :: a -> b)

class (Convertable a b,Convertable b a) => Equivalent a b
###

Happily surprised to see GHC swallow this, I continued by adding

###
{-# OPTIONS -fallow-undecidable-instances -fallow-overlapping-instances #-}
module Serialise where

import Convertable
import Data.PackedString (PackedString,packString,unpackPS)

instance Convertable String PackedString where
   convert = packString

instance Convertable PackedString String where
   convert = unpackPS

instance (Show a) => Convertable a String where
   convert = show

instance (Read a) => Convertable String a where
   convert = read
###

But now GHC complains about overlapping instances:
"Overlapping instance declarations:
     Serialise.hs:16: Convertable String a
     Convertable.hs:7: Convertable a a"
Why can't GHC decide that the "Convertable String a" instance is more specific?
Apparently, there is no problem with the combination of "Convertable a a"
and "Convertable a String": if I leave out "read", all is well. What is the
difference with the above?

In the manual one can find:
"GHC is also conservative about committing to an overlapping instance. For
example:
   class C a where { op :: a -> a }
   instance C [Int] where ...  instance C a => C [a] where ...
   f :: C b => [b] -> [b]  f x = op x
 From the RHS of f we get the constraint C [b]. But GHC does not commit to
the second instance declaration, because in a paricular call of f, b might
be instantiate to Int, so the first instance declaration would be
appropriate. So GHC rejects the program. If you add
-fallow-incoherent-instances GHC will instead silently pick the second
instance, without complaining about the problem of subsequent instantiations."
I do not understand why GHC can't choose between C [Int] (whenever f is
parametrised with Int) or C [a] (whenever f is parametrised with anything
else). (While checking the type of f, it is clear that the constraint C [b]
is always met.) (Adding -fallow-incoherent-instances did not change anything.)

Thanks a lot for putting up with my English and my dubious type
constructions :-).

Regards,

Arie Peterson

BTW: I would like to use this opportunity to express my content: I think
haskell is a wonderful language (never, ever anymore javascript :s) and GHC
is a, uhm, glorious compiler :-).