Transmitting Haskell values

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 5 12:21:20 EST 2003

> Simon Marlow wrote:
> > Generating a single unified index is entirely possible,
> given all the
> > .haddock files for the relevant packages.  I'll try to get
> this into the
> > next version of Haddock.
>
> But only as an option and/or addition, I hope...

If index generation was done as a separate operation using the .haddock
file, then you have the option of generating a single index for your
package or a unified index for multiple packages.

There's then the issue of where the index hyperlinks from the
documentation should point to.  A command-line flag should suffice for
redirecting these in the case when you're going to generate a
super-index later on.

> >>2. Remove the split between "type/class index" and
> >>"function/constructor
> >>index" in the Haddockish doc-index.html file.
> >

> > Yes, this is also something I'd like to do.
>
> Hmmm, I actually prefer the current situation: If you don't
> even know if you
> should look for a type or a function, you probably have more
> trouble than
> just two indices...  :-]

I'm afraid you're in the minority here, most people would prefer a
single index it seems.  Isn't it easier to just look in a single index
rather than having to think about whether you're looking for a type or
function first?

> >>3. Some links in the indexes are bold, others aren't.
> >

> > The bold ones represent the *original* defining module for
> the entity,
> > as compared to a module which just re-exports it.  However,
> knowing this
> > information isn't very useful, and arguably it shouldn't be
> displayed to
> > the user at all.  I'll change this for the next Haddock version.
>
> Again, I like the current situation, it saves you the trouble
> to look into
> simple "collecting modulues" (doing only imports and
> re-exports) by giving
> the user a clue where the documentation is.

The documentation should be at the end of *all* of the index links.  But
I've just noticed a bug: if an entity is re-exported by 'module M', then
it still gets an index entry with a hyperlink for that module.  I'll fix
that to remove the hyperlink - would that address your complaint?