Useful info from crash?

andrew cooke andrew at acooke.org
Sat Nov 1 08:17:53 EST 2003

no, i'm not sure it's segfaulting (i should have used a less specific
term), but i am seeing memory related errors.  i've had messages in the
syslog that describes a null pointer passed to the kernel and i've also
just seen an error on stderr that says

internal error: evacuate: strange closure type 39216
    Please report this as a bug to glasgow-haskell-bugs at haskell.org,
    or http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/ghc/

the trouble is that when if first got the error with ghc5, i updated my
system.  not only ghc, but also a slew of other packages.  now i'm worried
that there are two different errors (one possibly related to X or
Mozilla), or even that ghc is merely the victim of an error in some other
program.

i'm about to run the program on windows, using the parameters that gave
that message, to see if i can reproduce it.  so far my attempts to
restrict the program scope and repeat the error have failed.

once i'm a little clearer on what's happening i'll file a bug report.  i
just wondered whether there was any way of getting the system to give more
informative errors when it dies (eg recompiling ghc in some kind of debug
mode).

cheers,
andrew

ps.  just got a segmentation fault re-running the code that previously
gave the error above :o/

--
http://www.acooke.org/andrew