Alignment of doubles in ghc

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma@info.unicaen.fr
Mon, 12 May 2003 13:58:45 +0200

Simon Marlow wrote:

> We've already made the switch to eval/apply for the next release of GHC.
> However, deferring the entirety of stack management to an underlying
> compiler is not that easy: we do accurate garbage collection, so we need
> to retain enough information about the compiler's idea of stack layout
> in order to be able to find all the pointers during GC.  We therefore
> can't compile via C using an ordinary C compiler and leave the stack
> management up to the C compiler.

Is there anything published/unofficially available about it?

I have pure academic interest in all that. I must say that rarely had I
the occasion to learn something more crunchy about the implementation
of Haskell and FP than from the description of concrete solutions, such
as STG (and the implementation of Clean, and Appel's paper on the imple-
mentation of ML).

Now, my white/bald hair tell me that the eval/apply model is something
quite oriented towards strict evaluation paradigms, and I would enjoy very
much a thorough discussion of the implementation of laziness.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk