5.04.2 RPM Dependencies

Dominic Steinitz dominic.steinitz@blueyonder.co.uk
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:18:44 -0000

I tried the RPM for 7.2 and it seemed to work with --force and --nodeps (it
asked for libreadline.so.4 which was already there).

Dominic Steinitz
----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com>
To: "Jon Fairbairn" <Jon.Fairbairn@cl.cam.ac.uk>; "Dominic Steinitz"
<dominic.steinitz@blueyonder.co.uk>
Cc: <glasgow-haskell-users@haskell.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 11:59 AM
Subject: RE: 5.04.2 RPM Dependencies

> On 2003-03-10 at 20:57GMT "Dominic Steinitz" wrote:
> > Can anyone help? I downloaded the latest rpm for ghc but
> got the following
> > errors on installation:
> >
> > error: failed dependencies:
> >  libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)   is needed by ghc-5.04.2-1
> >  libreadline.so.4   is needed by ghc-5.04.2-1
> >
> > I guess I need to update libc and libreadline. Can anyone
> point me at the
> > rpms to do this?
>
> If you go to <URL: http://fr2.rpmfind.net > and type
> libc.so.6 into the search box, it says there are 233 rpms
> that provide it.  You can constrain the search to the
> distribution you are using, which would narrow things down a
> bit.

Upgrading libc is not something I'd recommend.  Instead, get the right
RPM for your distribution: we have separate RPMs for RedHat 8.0 and 7.2
these days (using the wrong one leads to strange problems).  The 8.0 RPM
is rumoured to work with 7.3.

I'm afraid we don't do a great job of supporting non-RedHat Linux
systems at the moment, except for Debian which I believe does its own
packaging of GHC.  We do have a .tar.bz2 "binary distribution" which
*might* work for you, but it is also reliant on you having the right
libraries installed.