Network on Win98: failed - socket - no error ??

Claus Reinke claus.reinke@talk21.com
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 01:01:34 -0000

Still looking for inspirations on this one. I'm not at all sure I interpret the chain
of indirections in the CVS sources correctly, but Network.Socket uses
throwErrnoIfMinus1Retry, which does indeed try to use errno to figure out
what went wrong. Is that redirected anywhere for windows?

Because, in their infinite wisdom, the designers of Windows Sockets have
decided that errno isn't the way:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winsock/winsock/error_codes_errno_h
_errno_and_wsagetlasterror_2.asp

    Platform SDK: Windows Sockets 2

    Error Codes - errno, h_errno and WSAGetLastError

    Error codes set by Windows Sockets are not made available through the errno variable.
Additionally, for the getXbyY class of functions, error codes are not made available through the
h_errno variable. Instead, error codes are accessed by using the WSAGetLastError function. This
function is provided in Windows Sockets as a precursor (and eventually an alias) for the Microsoft®
Windows® function GetLastError. This is intended to provide a reliable way for a thread in a
multithreaded process to obtain per-thread error information.

Just trying to make sure that I'm worrying about the "right" error message..

Cheers,
Claus