source RPM ghc-6.0

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel@botik.ru
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:54:36 +0400

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:40:59AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:

> > It occurs that we need first to install  ghc-6.0
> > on
> >    i386-unknown, RedHat Linux platform.
> >
> > Our administrator says here is a difficulty:
> >
> > a) it is hard for us to install from sources,
> > b) binary RPM would not do, due to library versions etc.,
> > c) we need
> >            source RPM  distributive,
> >
> >    similar as we used when installing  ghc-5.04.3.
> >
> >    But  ghc-6.0  does not show any source RPM distributive.
> >
> > Please, what can we do about this?
>

> Use the nosrc RPM, or install locally in your home directory from the
> binary distribution?  (you don't say what version of RedHat you have).

Is this a correct way to detect versions needed for the GHC
installation?

  more /etc/redhat-release
  -->
  Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)

  ls /lib/libc*
  -->
  /lib/libc-2.2.5.so

> install locally in your home directory from the binary
> distribution?

Probably, our Linux and library versions are too old to install from
the binary ghc-6.0 distribution.
Or should I really try this, with the above versions?

This is why we rather need  source RPM,  as our administrator says

(he does not want to update versions too often,
and personally, I do not understand any in these system matters).

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel@botik.ru