Strange Building problem...

Mark Green mgreen@brookes.ac.uk
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:52:34 +0100

Hi folks,

I am presently trying to build GHC on an i386 Linux box running
debian/sid.  (Yea, I know there's a .deb - in fact, I have it
installed - but I need to be able to compile my own.)

I've run configure and make, and stage 1 went quite well although
there were a few syntax problems (usually due to #ifdef's in the
source .hs files apparantly overrunning or underrunning; easily fixed
by just deleting the problematic #ifdef chunks for other
architectures). =20

Stage 2, however, seems to have a problem:  make runs "make -C
ghc/compiler stage=3D2", which then runs
"../../ghc/compiler/stage1/ghc-inplace -o stage2/ghc-6.0 -H16m -O
-i<lots of stage2/ paths> -DGHCI -package haskell-src -package unix
-package readline -cpp -fglasgow-exts -Rghc-timing -I. -IcodeGen
-IativeGen -Iparser -recomp -Rghc-timingn -H16m `#include
"hschooks.h"` -no-link-chk <lots of .o files>"

This then produces:
stage2/utils/Util.o(.text+0xb8): In funtion "r4c8_entry": undefined
reference to "GHCziBase_True_Closure"
        =20
... and roughly 40,000 errors of the same form.

Can anyone let me know what I'm doing wrong here?  Any help greatly
appreciated.

Mark