readline problem on OS X

Shin-Cheng Mu scm@comlab.ox.ac.uk
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:21:20 +0900

Hi,

I think the problem with readline on Mac OS X might have been
an re-occurring one. Browsing through the list archive for
the past few months, however, I have not found much discussion
about it. So I'd still raise the question again..

I am trying to have GHCi load a program which uses the util
package. I noticed, on the GHC download page, that GNU readline
has to be installed separately, so I compiled and installed
it.

However, GHCi says:

   /usr/local/lib/ghc-6.0/HSutil.o: unknown symbol
   `___stginit_SystemziConsoleziReadline_'
   ghc-6.0: panic! (the `impossible' happened, GHC version 6.0):
           can't load package `util'

Anyone knows what the problem might be?

I also noticed some changes in the CVS log addressing the
filename conflict of HSreadline. Could that be related?

(Also, the compiled libreadline.dylib was installed
in /usr/local/lib. For some reason, GHCi was not able to
locate it, so I added a symbolic link under /usr/lib.
I don't know whether I pointed GHCi to the wrong library.)

Thank you very much.

sincerely,
Shin-Cheng Mu