broken link

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:52:33 -0000

> The page=20
> <http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/ghc/docs/5.04.2/html/network/index.html>
> links to the "CGI" library, but following that link produces the
> following error:
>=20
>     Forbidden
>=20
>     You don't have permission to access
>     /ghc/docs/5.04.2/html/network/Network.CGI.html on this server.
>=20
> Looking at the download-able archive of the documentation, it appears
> that the page is simply missing.

The page is there, but I assume because it contains the string ".CGI"
the server is mistakenly refusing to serve it.  I'll see if the
webmaster knows why.

> On a similar notion: The "parent" link in the generated documentation
> almost never works. Say, you are on the documentation for
> Control.Arrow and follow the "parent" link, then the link will point
> to "PATH/Control.html" -- which does not exist; the correct name would
> be "PATH/index.html". I _guess_ that this can be fixed by providing
> appropriate flags to Haddock, but I am not sure.

Yes, this should be fixed.  The idea is to take you to the parent
*module*, which for many nodes in the tree doesn't exist (eg. Foreign.C
has a parent, but Control.Monad doesn't).  The parent button should just
be removed if there isn't a parent module.