How to build ghci?

Duncan Coutts duncan@coutts.uklinux.net
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 23:18:11 +0000

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:25:02 +0000 (GMT)
Andre Rauber Du Bois <dubois@macs.hw.ac.uk> wrote:

> > ghci reports:
> > ghc-5.04.2: not built for interactive use
> >

> 	If you want to have ghci you have to compile the source code with
> the same version of ghc that you are trying to generate, in your case
> ghc-5.04.2...

Thank's very much Andre. Now that I look for it, I did find this in the FAQ.
(I looked at the building guide but missed the FAQ!)

I'm still confused however. I though that with the whole two (three?)
stage bootstraping process you get a version of ghc built with itself
anyway, no? Maybe the ghc gurus could enlighten us. :-)

If it requires an extra time consuming step, could it be a ./configure
option? --enable-ghci

Duncan