permissions on ghc Windows installer?

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace@cs.york.ac.uk
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:24:31 +0000

I have been attempting to solve some outstanding problems with
building hmake, nhc98, and hat, using ghc under Windows.  I don't
have a Windows machine of my own, but our Dept has some public-access
Windows 2000 Pro machines I can use.  However, when I try to use the
ghc .msi automatic installer package, it reports that I do not have
sufficient privileges to install ghc in my own temporary disk area.
Apparently it needs administrator privileges, which I do not have
(and will not be able to acquire).

Are administrator privileges really required?  I notice that the
installer for Cygwin (i.e. not ghc) explicitly allows you to choose
whether to install for all users or "just for me".  Would it be
difficult to allow the same choice in the ghc installer?

Regards,
    Malcolm