To show or not to show french accents

Carsten Schultz carsten at gnocchi.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Thu Dec 18 14:07:09 EST 2003

Hallo!

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 01:55:27PM +0100, francis.girard at free.fr wrote:
> Well, I think there should probably be some internationalisation
> mechanism that tells the "show" function (to name one), according to
> some configuration, how to interpret a byte as a character.

My understanding is that `show' should work with `read' and possibly
produce output that can be parsed by the Haskell parser. It is not a
pretty printing function.

> Frankly, I see no good reason why we should be satisfied we the dinosaurus 7
> bits except perhaps because 7 bits is sufficient for english.
>
> I am talking about respect for non english speaking people.
>
> But if nobody cares ...

I, too, speak a language that can't be fully expressed in ASCII, but I
do not think that the behaviour of `show' should be changed in this
respect.

Greetings,

Carsten

--
Carsten Schultz (2:38, 33:47), FB Mathematik, FU Berlin
http://carsten.fu-mathe-team.de/