link statically with libc?

Ketil Z. Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
07 Aug 2003 16:16:27 +0200

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

> I don't know how the Ada guys do it.  Perhaps they have an alternate
> set of compiled libraries with bounds-checking turned off?

Me neither, I've just heard the idea discussed, not the actual
technology.

>> I suppose I can do it by wrapping array accesses in a class or
>> otherwise, with a safe and an unsafe implementation, and switch when
>> I'm satisfied things work.

> Yes, that would do it.

Moving to unsafeAt gained me a couple of percent in my application.
Throwing in a -fliberate-case gave me a miniscule, but possibly
positive gain.

However, linking statically (with -optl-static) causes my program to
stack overflow!?  Sounds very strange to me, but I don't have time to
investigate that further today.  I'll look into it a bit more
tomorrow.

> Large file support will be in 6.2.

Goodie!

-kzm