Sockets again

Keean Schupke k.schupke@imperial.ac.uk
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:29:54 +0100

I think you are refering to problems with the semantics of the high
level network IO, but
I have to say the problems I have encountered have maily to do with
exception-handlers missing
in connectTo, accept, some low level socket functions from Handle.hs
(finalizer on the wrong side,
missing exception handler in hClose) etc...

I am using a version of the libraries with all these problems patched
(most of the fixes should have
been in 5.04.3, but for one reason or another some of them did not make
it)...

With these patched versions I have been working on both client and
server modules accross multiple
binary and ascii protocols, and I normaly use hGetContents for lazy
reading, and hPutStr hPutChar etc
for writing... very much real world use - and I find them perfectly
useful... Infact I see little need to go
deeper into the networking code. I would be interested to know why these
functions are not useful?

    Regards,
    Keean Schupke.