Newbie building GHC

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:49:02 +0100

> I ran strace with -ff option. Attached is the trace file. I=20
> can see many "No
> such file or directory" in the trace. Can you see the problem?

Here's the problem line:

[pid  1514] execve("n/sh", ["/bin/sh", "-c", "gcc Adjustor.c -o
/tmp/ghc1513.s"...], [/* 36 vars */]) =3D -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)

so for some unknown reason, execve() is trying to run "n/sh" rather than
"/bin/sh".  execve() is called by the Haskell System.system function,
via execl().

I have absolutely no idea what is causing this :)  Simon PJ said it
happened to him at some point, but neither of us can remember the cause.

Just in case it gives us any clues, can you tell us:

   - what OS flavour/version is on your system

   - what version of GHC is installed, and where
     you got it from,

   - what GHC sources you are trying to build
     (source bundle or CVS?)

also, could you try building & running a small program that calls
System.system on your machine with the installed GHC, and see if it
works as expected?