Newbie building GHC

Dominic Cooney dominic@dcooney.com
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 22:52:41 +1000

Hi,

I have been trying to build GHC, but the ghc.exe that gets built for
ghc-inplace always exits with "Error 1". It *can* print its version
number and the help, but building anything fails. The build fails
making Adjustor.o from Adjustor.c.

I'm trying to build a cvs checkout fpconfig ghc hslibs on Win XP Pro,
bootstrapping with the provided GHC 5.04.1 binary and Happy 1.13 binary.

I mentioned this to a colleague and he said he had exactly the same
problem (ghc exits with error 1), on Windows and Linux, when building
from source tarballs and CVS. We don't normally have any problems
running the haskell.org GHC binaries.

Can any of you suggest what we might be doing wrong? We are in the
southern hemisphere, so our electrons may be orbiting backwards.

Ultimately, we are keen to play around with Meta Haskell, as our
journal club is reading Template Metaprogramming in Haskell soon.

Thanks,

Dominic Cooney