GHC and readline

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak@cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:15:55 +1000 (EST)

Ashley Yakeley <ashley@semantic.org> wrote,

> At 2002-09-15 22:48, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
>
> >Well, it depends on whether this code makes use of the
> >readline functionality or not.  If, say, you are just using
> >GetOpt from "util", there is no need for you to make your
> >program GPL, only because Readline happens to be in the same
> >package.
>
> It's not a problem with the new hierarchy, but formerly if I used
> "package util" then I'd have to link in libreadline, and then I would be
> subject to the terms of its license.
>
> Or would the linker not include any libreadline code in that case?

The linker will omit .o files in the library archive that
are not referenced at all.  (That's the point about the
split-objs business used with GHC libraries, btw.)

Apart from that, I very much doubt that the FSF would go
after anybody just because the person linked libreadline
*without* actually using it.

Cheers,
Manuel