Packages

Koen Claessen koen@cs.chalmers.se
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 12:59:58 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear all,

I have two questions, related to packages.

1) What is the relationship between the new and cool
hierarchical module structure and packages? Packages used to
be a way of avoiding name clashes on module level, but that
role has been taken over by the new module system.

Several sub-questions:

  - I can add my own packages, can I add my own modules to
    the hierarchy?

  - Can the package system be complete taken over by the
    module system? I.e. relating certain .a, .so, .dll files
    and compiler flags with certain parts of the module
    hierarchy?

2) I am trying to install my own package. I do not have
write access to GHC's package.conf. So, I make my own. But:

[cth/Yahu] -: more yahu.conf
[Package
    {name = "yahu",
     import_dirs = ["/users/cs/koen/Code/Ghc/Yahu"],
     source_dirs = [],
     library_dirs = ["/users/cs/koen/Code/Ghc/Yahu"],
     hs_libraries = [],
     extra_libraries = [],
     include_dirs = [],
     c_includes = [],
     package_deps = [],
     extra_ghc_opts = [],
     extra_cc_opts = [],
     extra_ld_opts = ["-lyahu"],
     framework_dirs = [],
     extra_frameworks = []}]
[cth/Yahu] -: ghc --package-conf yahu.conf -package yahu --make Test
ghc-5.04: unknown package name: yahu
<<<

What is going on?

Thanks,