Dynamic linking again

Alastair Reid alastair@reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
02 Sep 2002 20:31:25 +0100

Duncan Coutts <duncan@coutts.uklinux.net> writes:
> Linking in HSbase.o directly is *very* slow. I don't know enough
> about linking to know why.

The usual way to slow a linker down is to put all the files concerned
on an NFS-mounted filesystem (as opposed to a local disk).

The usual way to speed one up is to find a memory disk and put all the
files there.  For example, FreeBSD often puts /tmp in a memory disk.
If you have plenty of RAM, all accesses to /tmp are to memory.  Only
if you're low on RAM, do the fiel accesses actually hit a physical
disk.  I think Linux has memory disks too.  (There's also RAM disks
but those are different beasts.  If I understand them correctly, they
cannot be swapped out to disk.)

--
Alastair Reid                 alastair@reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Reid Consulting (UK) Limited  http://www.reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk/alastair/