crash in profiling mode

Janis Voigtlaender voigt@orchid.inf.tu-dresden.de
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:22:50 +0100

Simon Marlow wrote:

> > I have a problem with profiling using a freshly installed GHC
> > 5.04 under Solaris. With the following program crash.lhs:
>
> Please install 5.04.1 instead, I believe this bug was fixed.

Thanks, that indeed solved the problem.

Another question: The profiling mode of GHC-4.08.2 did also output (in
mode +RTS -p) the time spent on garbage collection (as an additional
percentage of overall running time).
With the programs I tested so far under GHC-5.04.1, I never saw such an
indication in a.out.prof, although for the same programs under
GHC-4.08.2 considerable garbage collection times were measured.

Does this mean that:

 a) the indication of garbage collection times has been dropped from
    profiling reports (can I obtain them in another way?),

or

 b) the newer GHC is so smart that it optimised away the need for
    garbage collection in the particular (few) programs I tested, but
    otherwise the GC times will show up in profiling reports,

or

 c) something else?

Regards, Janis.

--