Native Threads in the RTS

Alastair Reid alastair@reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
26 Nov 2002 15:18:45 +0000

After sending this mail this morning, I realized that threadsafety is
largely orthogonal to the choice of which thread to run in.  For
example, I might want to make an 'unsafe' call in a particular native
thread.

So my proposed spec should add a second, orthogonal choice of ffi call
types ('native'|'green') which may be specified _in addition to_ the
current 'threadsafe'|'safe'|'unsafe'.

--
Alastair

ps Better names than 'native' and 'green' surely exist.  Something
which conveys the idea that the thread will be remembered for later
use seems appropriate but no good words spring to mind.