Native Threads in the RTS

Wolfgang Thaller wolfgang.thaller@gmx.net
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 02:29:38 +0100

Sven Panne wrote:
> I haven't thought very deeply about your proposal yet, but I don't
> understand
> the remark above: What about e.g. a multi-processor Solaris machine
> (where
> pthreads work as intended,  [...]

We can't currently allow several Haskell threads to really run
simultaneosly [e.g. on two separate processors, or preemtively
scheduled on a single processor], because they always mutate the same
global heap. Currently, GHC switches its green threads only at times
when the heap is in a defined state [not truly preemptively]. There
seems to be some SMP support in the RTS, I don't know if it ever
worked. If anyone wants to fix/finish it, that would be great, but it's
not what I'm proposing here.
My proposal is only a minimum solution intended to resolve the inherent
incompatibility between the "threaded RTS" and libraries like OpenGL,
which require thread-local-state.

Cheers,

Wolfgang