IOError vs. Exception vs. IOException

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:38:14 -0000

> Ross Paterson <ross@soi.city.ac.uk> cryptically writes:
> > Shouldn't IOError be identified with IOException rather=20
> than Exception?=20
>=20
> I had to grovel through the code to understand what this question
> means.

Well, you could have grovelled through the documentation instead :-)

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/base/Control.Exception.html

>  It seems that GHC.IOBase contains these definitions:
>=20
>   type IOError =3D Exception
>  =20
>   data Exception
>     =3D ArithException      ArithException
>     | ...
>     | IOException         IOException
>     | ...
>=20
>   data IOException
>    =3D IOError {
>        ioe_handle   :: Maybe Handle,   -- the handle used by=20
> the action flagging
>                                        -- the error.
>        ioe_type     :: IOErrorType,    -- what it was.
>        ioe_location :: String,         -- location.
>        ioe_descr    :: String,         -- error type specific=20
> information.
>        ioe_filename :: Maybe FilePath  -- filename the error=20
> is related to.
>      }
>  =20
> I think the idea is that we want code protected using catch clauses to
> be safe against not just IOErrors but also all the exceptions
> (division by zero, etc) that can happen.  Since the type of 'catch' is
> fixed by the report, we have to make IOError include all those types.

It didn't always used to be this way: before GHC 5.00, IOError was what
is now called IOException.  We changed it so that IOError =3D=3D =
Exception
because it seems simpler this way:  IO.ioError can be used to throw
exceptions, and Exception.catch and IO.catch have the same type.  I
think there were more good reasons, but I can't remember now (the change
came about when Simon P.J. was trying to describe this stuff for his
"awkward squad" paper).

Personally I'm not completely happy with the design, the
IOError=3D=3DException thing is a bit strange.  But most of the =
complication
arises if you try to mix the two interfaces to exceptions (IO and
Exception) - if you stick to the Exception interface then the design is
quite consistent.

> The report deliberately specifies IOError in such a way that
> additional kinds of IOError can be easily added.
>=20
> This only leaves the question of whether division by 0 is an IO error
> or is a pure error.  The argument is that the only thing which causes
> evaluation to happen is IO - if your program doesn't interact with the
> outside world, it might as well not do anything.  So, in that sense,
> all errors are errors triggered by performing IO.  [You can disagree
> with this argument if you like - the fact will remain that we'd like
> Prelude.catch to catch as many exceptions as possible even if the
> names of the types seem a little screwy when we do that.]

You can't have Prelude.catch catch division by zero and pattern match
failures (for example), because that wouldn't be Haskell 98.  That's why
we have Exception.catch which does catch these errors.