Weird porting problem with read

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Mon, 6 May 2002 11:47:54 +0100

> Well, I figured it out myself in the end... it's gcc dodginess :/
>=20
> numberToInt checks the number that's been read against=20
> minBound :: Int.
> In the 64-bit STG C code this ends up being:
>=20
> _Cak7_=3D(-9223372036854775808)<=3D(I_)(R1.p[1]);
>=20
> If I were to read the gcc warnings it would say:
>=20
> Text/Read/Lex.hc:40: warning: decimal constant is so large that it is
> unsigned
>=20
> and it seems to make a dodgy optimisation on that basis.
>=20
> If I change the constant to -(2^63-1) instead of -2^63 it works, and
> without the warning message.  Which seems like a compiler bug to me,
> since -2^63 is a valid 64-bit signed number.  I'll see what the gcc
> folks have to say.

I've had similar problems before with minInt.  I seem to recall that the
C standard doesn't guarantee that this constant is representable in the
int type: I think it has to do with the fact that the C standard doesn't
proscribe 2's complement arithmetic, and in 1's complement you can't fit
-2^63 in an int.