possible readline license problem with ghc and -package util

Ketil Z Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
11 Jun 2002 19:37:26 +0200

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

> But we do have to make GHCi "available under the GPL" whatever that
> means.

I assume it means I must be allowed to take GHCi and re-release it
with modifications under GPL only.

> Actually I'm dubious about the notion of compatible licenses - I
> read the GPL carefully and I still don't see how it is compatible
> with the BSD license at all

I thought 'compatible' only meant that a BSD (without advertising
claus) could be incorporated in a GPL product.

> This is *so* annoying when all we're trying to do is write free
> software here.   Grrrr.

Right.  May I suggest ignoring the problem until somebody actually
challenges it?  Unless somebody's working on a proprietary product
incorporating GHC, the compiler remains very much in the spirit of
free software, so I don't think it'll be a problem in practice.

The library issue must probably be sorted out, though.

-kzm