Problems dealing with GHC incompatibilities

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:54:48 +0100

> So my suggestion is that
> (1) The GHC team continue to issue snapshot releases as often=20
> as possible (I don't know why they
> don't make the automatic builds generate them every night).

We could, and in fact the nightly build system has support for
publishing the resulting source & binary bundles.  One consideration,
though, is that someone pulling down a snapshot will want a clue as to
whether that snapshot is likely to be not completely broken, and without
reading cvs-ghc@haskell.org.  So we tend to pick snapshots at moments
when we know things are in a reasonably stable state.

> By the way, Simon M, how long can we rely on the hslibs=20
> library structure?  Because some time
> I shall have to schedule time to move over to the new=20
> structure, and I'm not looking forward to
> it.

Perhaps they'll go away in 6.00... how do people feel about that?  The
5.04 release will continue to be supported up until the release of 6.00,
which is likely to be at least 6 months (probably longer).